"It Offin"- You don't know what that means

My title confuses you.  It should.  You are normal, don't worry (well, maybe some of you should, but that's a topic I don't get paid enough to cover).  My title comes from the 2 series I am sewing along with as a butt kick to keep me sewing.  Paisley Roots is having a "Shake it Off" competition and link-up on her blog and Scientific Seamstress/ SisBoom is having a "Knock it Off" theme for their "Just for Me January" challenge in their Facebook group.  Click on my links and take advantage of the opportunity to win free stuff.  Otherwise, we can't be friends.  If you don't like free stuff, you're not my people.  So here's my look!




We'll start with the Paisley Roots competition.  She challenged us to make SOMETHING inspired my the "Shake it Off" video by Taylor Swift using a pattern from one of the sponsors' patterns.  She had a bad 2014 and wants to shake it off and I'm with her.  EFF YOU 2014!  Anyway, I chose the cheerleader look as my inspiration.  It's peppy and fun and YES!  Perfect for shaking things off...like this awful cold I have.  I look like a damn fool in the following picture. I'm "dancing".  God help us all.





Along with the color scheme, I decided to pleat my skirt to mimic the pleats in the cheer uniform and chose some colorblocking to bring it all together.  The dress pattern I used was the Angie by SisBoom- More on that below.  The cardigan was made from Simplicity 2125.  No, Simplicity is not a sponsor, but I made it anyway since cardis are more like and accessory. (Yes I definitely look sick in this picture.  And my head is exceptionally round.  I blame the tripod...it can't argue back).





My dress is sooooo comfy.  I used interlock knit because I realized that nearly ALL of my store bought stuff is knit.  If I'm BUYING knit clothing, I should be sewing it.  The problem I faced was dealing with knit bias binding.  LORD NO. So I took the construction technique from the SisBoom Tortola and made a woven neck/arm facing to limit stretchy wonkiness and keep is nice and sturdy.  I Win!


Since this was a knock-off look, I clearly took inspiration from somewhere...here's where:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151715081173501165/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151715081173495164/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151715081173499902/

Anyway, there you have my "It Off" looks.  PLEASE go make your own and enter them!  If for nothing else than motivation and Sew-jo creation. 

-Crystal-

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous! You always look smashing, cold and all. I had originally thought I did not have anything suitable for Knock it Off but you have broadened my horizons and I'm going to take another look. Good idea on the woven facings too! I do woven with knit bindings often but it would have never occurred to me to try the other way.

    ReplyDelete